Management of the SPA Site of Andros Island to Achieve a Favourable Conservation Status for its Priority Species (LIFE10 NAT/GR/637)
“Our origin is very much older than that of the dwellers of Mount Olympus… And what important services do not the birds render to mortals? … Through us you will know the winds and the seasons, summer, winter and the temperate months. We shall not withdraw ourselves to the highest clouds like Zeus, but shall be among you and shall give to you and to your children and to the children of your children health and wealth, long life, peace, youth, laughter, songs and feasts. … Is it not the most priceless gift of all to be winged?”
Aristophanes (448 - ca. 380 B.C.E.), Greek playwright. (From “The Birds” written in 413 B.C.E. and spoken by the Leaders of the Chorus and Second Semi-Chorus)
THE PROJECT PARTNERS AND PRINCIPAL BENEFACTOR
The four year European Union (EU) LIFE+ Nature project for the benefit of priority bird species in the EU Special Protection Area of Andros Island, Greece, in the Aegean was officially launched in September 2011 by the Andros Island Municipality as Coordinating Beneficiary along with the Hellenic Ornithological Society and Nature Conservation Consultants Ltd. as the Municipality’s partners. The European Commission (EC) is the principal benefactor of this project.
LIFE Nature Unit of the European Commission
Based on the environmental and wildlife legislative provisions of the EU Birds Directive (2009/147/EC on the Conservation of Wild Birds) and the EU Habitats Directive (92/43/EEC on the Conservation of Natural Habitats and Wild Flora and Fauna) which collectively form the cornerstone of EU nature conservation policy, the EC facilitates the EU Member States’ implementation of these Directives by providing project funds through LIFE which is the EU’s financial instrument supporting environmental and nature conservation projects throughout the EU, as well as in some candidate, acceding and neighbouring countries.
Since 1992, LIFE has co-funded more than 3,500 projects, contributing approximately €2.5 billion to the protection of the environment. For the EU Andros LIFE+ Nature project, the EC has committed to funding 75% and the Andros Municipality has committed to funding the remaining 25% of the €1.8 million endeavour that aims to improve the long term conservation status of four priority bird species legally protected under the EU Birds Directive.
LIFE+ Nature projects under the guidance and oversight of the European Commission expand the protection of our irreplaceable natural resources for the preservation of our priceless European natural heritage.
Contact: Constantine Alexander